Tuesday, June 17, 2008

A beginning

It seems only right to start something at the end of something else.

My office is closing next week, and so I figured I should start a blog.

Right now, movers are literally dismantling my cubicle. This is rather jarring considering I'm still here, trying to do work, typing on the computer, etc.

I have what--7 days left? My filing cabinets are empty; my drawers are clear; my personal effects from the bulletin board are taken down . . . and yet, there's a delicious irony about having my former workplace collapse around me.

I find myself in one of those curious places where I don't know if I should laugh or cry. It's actually hilarious that I'm still here in the wreckage--printing form letters and writing flap copy (among other things) for my bosses--when the walls are closing in. The awkwardness is laughable--and if it showed up on The Office I wouldn't be able to contain myself.

But I'm not Dwight or Michael or Jim or Pam. And because of that, there's a sadness to the whole ordeal that's ever-so-slightly devastating.

Ah, well.

At least, as my boss pointed out, there's more room in my cube.

"Maybe you should put in a beanbag chair and lounge for the next week," she
says.

Maybe I should.



No comments: